Friday, July 31, 2009

Positive Review from a Neutral Reviewer

It may be hard to believe, what with all the fame notoriety high traffic and real time sturm und drang threads but, believe it or not, I actually cut my teeth over at DovBear.blogspot.com.

And it's gratifying to know that although the Baal HaBlog there considered me no more than a troll there were a number of readers and commenter's who actually liked my work.

"Most recently after my banning that is now entering its third week BR opined While I usually found myself agreeing with DB 99% of the time, I appreciated getting Bray's perspective - and liked that he usually did it with a touch of humor, rather than sour puss condemnation (and I say this even though he really got me angry a few times). At least he wrote his arguments in a way that encouraged me to give his side of the argument a chance to be read. He didn't turn me off the way many others from his "side" tend to."

Though I must question his taste as he also wrote

" But . . . I come here first and foremost for the discussion atmosphere that DB has created. Great posts, great bunch of commenters and some very spirited discussion. Bray was a part of it, but he wasn't all of it. The blog's appeal is due to DB's work. He asks some tough questions and gives his frank opinions on things that not everyone in the Orthodox world wants to touch or express - and he does it as an observant Orthodox Jew, not as a naysayer of religion or one who has abandoned Judaism - and one who seeks to balance his rationality with his devotion to G-d and Judaism (rather than using it as an excuse to abandon them).In the end, my identification is more with DB's integrating of an ancient tradition with sometimes problematic and puzzling scriptures and laws with a life as a rational and skeptical human of the 21st century who does not accept apologetics and the "party line," preferring instead to question and debate the issues that trouble him.Which is why I can't come up with a sufficient superlative for DB. I can only say that I'm glad he does this blog."

To which I can only say: עַד-מָתַי אַתֶּם פֹּסְחִים עַל-שְׁתֵּי הַסְּעִפִּים--אִם-יְהוָה הָאֱלֹהִים לְכוּ אַחֲרָיו, וְאִם-הַבַּעַל לְכוּ אַחֲרָיו= "'How long halt ye between two opinions? if the LORD be God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him.'"

so make the right choice...come over here with hordes of friends and make this the e-salon for thinking Jews.

Qedusah-Havdala...Have you had yours today?

6 comments:

Rabbi Pinky Schmeckelstein said...

Serious comment:

There are many of us for whom faith is not easy, but is a constant struggle to balance reasoned spirituality with reasoned modernity (and science).

A fundamentalist cannot understand this. This is not a statement of judgement. It is simply an observation on the "DNA" of personality types. Again -- ZERO offense intended here.

Not Brisk said...

Bray

What is with the fish? Are you bentching yourself not to have an ayin horoh?

rabbifink said...

I still like your blog.

Anonymous said...

If he considered you "no more than a troll" why were you permitted to guest post for two years?

The Bray of Fundie said...

It's complicated. Suffice it to say that although he let me post he never really considred me a meber of the team. He hated my writing style, disgreed violently with almost all my positions and would routinely spike, ham-handedlty edit and/or publish caveats to utterly dissaociate himself from my posts.

IMHO he let me post to cement his credentials as a proprietere of a blog where free speech reigns supreme by publishing "offensive" views and opinions.

The Bray of Fundie said...

NB-

That's one p'shat. Another is that since I launched the blog during the very inaupicious nine days I thought that I'd inject a bit of Mazal Adar into the proceedings.